Traditionally when we think of calcium, we have a tendency of thinking about milk. The awareness is, if we drink and eat lots of dairy products, we’ll have strong bones and prevent osteoporosis. Calcium is important for Health of bones, at the same time it’s not the only essential factor for healthy bones.
Dairy products are not the only source of calcium. There are a large variety of foods that contain Calcium the important mineral.
If you’re not eating dairy products, then include these foods in your diet to get sufficient Calcium:
- Nuts: 20 Almonds or 10 Brazil nuts (about 30 grams) contains 65 mg calcium
- Orange: One normal fruit contains 35 mg calcium
- Parsley: One tablespoon gives 65 mg of Calcium
- Sardines or salmon: 100 grams of Salmon fish gives you about 300 mg of calcium, almost 1/3rd of your daily requirement.
- Dried fruit: 3 dried figs gives 100 mg calcium and 10 dried Apricots provides 42 mg calcium
- Leafy green vegetables: 1 cup of spinach, pakchoy, cabbage gives 75 mg of calcium
- Legumes: 1/2 cup chickpeas, lima beans or soya beans gives 70 mg calcium
- Tofu: 80 grams or 3 cubes provides 96 mg calcium
- Tahini: This is a Sesame seeds paste. 1 tablespoon contains 70 mg of calcium
[“Tahini” is a rich, creamy paste made from sesame seeds and sesame oil. It’s commonly used to flavour sauces, dressings and appetizer spreads. Also called sesame butter, Tahini is similar to peanut butter, but thinner in consistency]
Replacing milk with these healthy food varieties can fulfil body’s calcium requirement, provide you healthy bones and a healthier body forever.