Almost 40 percent people being prone to diabetes call it’s a pattern x/metabolic disorders/lifestyle changes etc. Generally people with diabeties are forced to stop eating rice, banana and ghee.
The first thing one should understand that eating rice / idly / dosa does not cause diabetes, eating rice with very little dal and curry will spike the blood sugar levels.
Everyone suggests low fats for diabetics, but how much is low and what type of fats? Too low fats will affects brain functioning and also poor lubrication to gut and joints.
Traditionally when Rice is served with at least two forms of Curries, Chutneys and Dal and topped with a spoon of Ghee. How this help?
So rich with protein Dal is having high biological protein, packed with energy, carbohydrate it may cause sudden spike in the blood sugar levels, but here comes the traditional food wisdom which mixed with curries fiber, vitamins and minerals, dal, protein and ghee, which ultimately reduces the glycaemic index of the rice.
Thus ideally this complex carbohydrate mix is absorbed gradually without rising blood sugars.
Well, this same will happen with Idly and Dosa, or with Aloo paratha, if you spread a spoon of ghee on you idles, dosa or paratha it will reduces its Glycaemic index, and it’s better if you are also eating it along with chutney sambar, sabzi and salad. Look our usual sweets, which have key ingredient ghee in it, but sorry to say now a day’s these are replaced by oils / dalda or Vanaspati.
Like “Old is Gold” so is our cow ghee, it makes our brains sharp, lubricates our gut and bones, aids in constipations, melts hard fat deposits, delays gastric emptying by up-regulating the response of a gut hormone GLP-1.
This glucose-dependent action is mostly important because, when it comes about the blood sugar levels in fasting range; GLP-1 no longer stimulates insulin to cause hypoglycemia.
GLP-1 appears to restore the glucose sensitivity of pancreatic β-cells, with the mechanism possibly involving the increased expression of GLUT2 and glucokinase. GLP-1 is also known to inhibit pancreatic β-cell apoptosis and stimulate the proliferation and differentiation of insulin-secreting β-cells.
Basically it lowers the glycemic index and helps regulate the blood sugar levels. So adding ghee in-to Meals, may be in Rice, Roti, Dosa, Idly, Paratha can lowers the Glycemic index of these carbohydrate rich foods which otherwise high on the GI.
Whatever may your health condition, adding minimum 10 gms (two teaspoons of ghee) of ghee will certainly add energy and make the food more tasty.
The researches proved that high potassium foods Banana has can help in prevention of renal and cardiac problems in diabetes. Potassium foods can beat fatigue, constipation, prevents acidity, gives instant energy, regulates …blood pressures and brings in sound glow on skin.
- Banana having average of 105 calories; is an excellent source of instant energy. It is especially great food after workout, because it instantly replenishes the low levels of glucose in the blood.
- The probiotic effects of fructooligosaccharides (FOS) present in bananas stimulates the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestine and protect you from gastric disturbances.
- Banana is also good for bone health. Fermentation of FOS reduces the pH in the gut and promotes calcium absorption in turn builds strong bones.
- Bananas can protect you from muscle cramps. Being rich in magnesium and potassium, bananas are the best means to fill up the minerals requirement of the body.
- It relaxes the muscles and protects from any further leg cramps.
- Bananas, being rich in potassium and low in sodium; can manage blood pressure in better way.
- It maintains the water balance in the body; detoxifies the body and protects from heart attack and stroke.
- Banana works as effective antacids. It coats the inner lining of the stomach and suppresses acid secretion, thereby protects from stomach ulcers and acidity.
- If you feel dehydrated and tired, restore the lost potassium by eating bananas.
- Eating a banana before bed can promote sleep. Due to high levels of tryptophan, Bananas gets converted to serotonin in the brain. This improves the mood and makes you more alert with improved concentration levels.
- Diabetic can still eat banana at least thrice a week which will no harm.
- Instead of Bananshakes try Banana in the form of banana recipe called as Shikran.
Healthy balanced diet consisting of all foods groups, timely meals, proper medication and exercise will makes Life easier despite of “diabetes”. Lastly go ahead and eat Rice, Banana and Ghee wisely without guiltiness or fear!